1. If you feel like you can’t be yourself, something is wrong with the friendship. Not only should you feel like yourself when you’re together, but your friends should make you feel like the best version of yourself.
2. There should be reciprocation. Just as you’d do anything for the people you love, you should expect the same from them. My friends would get up in the middle of the night to be there for me; I would make the same sacrifice for the people I love.
3. Your friends should want the best for you. A lot of my friends are actresses, and that could be considered as uncomfortable or a competitive thing. Sometimes we might even be up for the same roles, which you’d think would be awkward. It’s not. We truly want each other to get the role as much as we want it for ourselves. Might seem impossible to believe, but it’s true.
4. If someone’s malicious, they’re not the right friend for you. Love and support are the basis of any long-lasting friendship— it can be impossible to recover from harsh and unkind words. This doesn’t mean that you can’t express the things that bother you about each other, but if it’s done in a way that feels undeniably mean, that’s not okay.
5. Betrayal is never okay. My friends and I have a code word that we say to each other that means that nothing we say can leave the room. If you have a friend who is betraying that circle of trust, then they’re not a good friend. You need to know that you can feel safe to say and do whatever you need to do around those you’re closest with.
6. Not letting things go. Even though I’m an outspoken person and never shy about expressing how I feel, I get very nervous when I get into arguments with friends. I hate feeling like there’s anything coming between me and a good friend, and so I always make the effort to call, reach out, or go over to give them a big hug. It can be scary, but it’s always worth putting an argument behind us so it doesn’t become a bigger deal than it actually is.
- Lea Michele, Brunette Ambition
marriage is kinda weird though because it’s like ‘i love you, lets get the law involved so you can’t leave”